Sunset at Gowanus Bay

Sunset at Gowanus Bay
Sunset at Gowanus Bay, Henry Gritten, 1851

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Julia A. Brower's Will, 1875 (proved 1877)

The probate file of Julia Ann (Haynes) Brower, widow of Samuel C. Brower was discussed in the post of April 30, 2012. The file did not include a copy of the will. Her will is found in Kings County Wills, vols. 70-71, 1877-1878, which has been filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah and is available through Family History Centers. I have made digital images from this microfilm and the images (four of them) can now be found online with Julia Ann Brower's Probate File.

Her will was dated 22 December 1875, and was proved 27 November 1877 by the two witnesses, Oliver R. Dodd and William Osborne. A transcript follows:

"I, Julia Ann Brower of the City of Brooklyn, Kings County and State of New York, being of sound mind and memory do make, publish and declare this my last will and testament in manner following, that is to say, First I give and bequeath to my grandson Samuel C. Brower, son of William V. Brower, deceased, one hundred dollars to be paid by my executors hereafter named within two years after my decease.
Second, it is my will, that my said executors as soon after my decease as they deem proper shall sell my piano at public or private sale and divide the proceeds thereof , share and share alike, between my daughters Maria Ann Selleck, Eliza Ann Brown and Henrietta Thompson, or such of them as shall me survive.
Third, it is my will that all my household furniture both useful and ornamental as far as practicable be divided into four equal parts between my son Samuel C. Brower and my daughters Maria Ann Selleck, Eliza Ann Brown and Henrietta Thompson, provided they agree to such division and in case they cannot so agree I hereby direct my said executors to sell all such furniture at public or private sale and distribute the proceeds thereof between them share and share alike.
Fourth, I give, devise and bequeath all the rest, residue and remainder of my estate both real and personal and the proceeds thereof including a certain promissory note for sixteen hundred and fifty dollars made by George F. Dodd, and also a claim which I have against Charles F. Thompson, husband of my daughter Henrietta, for two thousand dollars to be deemed of the value of one thousand six hundred and fifty dollars, and two thousand dollars respectively, as follows, viz. to my son Samuel C. Brower, one fifth part, to my daughter Maria Ann Selleck, one fifth part, to my daughter Eliza Ann Brown, one fifth part, to my daughter Henrietta Thompson, one fifth part, and to Freeman Dodd and Samuel C. Dodd, children of my daughter Emeline J. Dodd, deceased, one fifth part, to them and every one of them and to their heirs and assigns forever.
Fifth, It is my will and I hereby direct my said executors in distributing my last aforesaid estate, to pay the share of my said daughter Henrietta, out of the said claim of two thousand dollars against her husband and not otherwise to that amount, and that they pay the share of Samuel C. Dodd and Freeman Dodd out of said promissory note for sixteen hundred and fifty dollars, and not otherwise, to that amount.
Sixth, I hereby authorize and direct my said executors at such time and place and in such manner as they shall deem best, to sell and convey all my real estate and to execute and deliver all instruments and writing necessary to the perfecting a good and valid title thereto and until such sale, to rent said real estate or any part thereof and collect the rents thereof to be distributed as part and parcel of my said estate.
And lastly, I hereby nominate and appoint my son-in-law Samuel C. Brown and his son, Melville Brown, executors of this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all former wills by me made.
In witness whereof I have here unto set my hand and seal this twenty second day of December, One Thousand Eight Hundred and Seventy Five."
      Signed, Julia A. Brower
Winesses: Oliver R. Dodd, 376 Dean St., Brooklyn and William Osborne, 376 Dean St., Brooklyn.

As mentioned in the earlier post, a descendant of Samuel C. and Julia Ann (Haynes) Brower has participated in the Brewer DNA Project. The test results confirm a descent from Adam Brouwer of Gowanus, Long Island.

BGB 114

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of spamming issues, all submitted comments are moderated. Your comment is appreciated, but it will not appear online until it has first been reviewed. All relative comments will be sent through. Comments of a commercial nature will be blocked. It may take as little as a few hours or as long as a few days for submitted comments to appear online. Please do not resend the same comment. Please do not include personal identification information for living persons, i.e. names, addresses, DNA testing account numbers, in your comments. Comments or questions including such information will be rejected. Please address questions regarding specific DNA test results to the Brewer DNA Project. A link for the Project can be found in the column on the right side of this page. Thank you.