Sunset at Gowanus Bay

Sunset at Gowanus Bay
Sunset at Gowanus Bay, Henry Gritten, 1851

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Update: William B. Bogardus Collection

Late in 2008, William B. Bogardus of Wilmington, Ohio, who for 50 years has researched and studied the descendants of Anneke Jans, and for nearly as long the various Brouwer families of New Netherland and their descendants, transferred to me, the majority of his correspondence and records regarding Brouwer research.

The material consisted of eight banker boxes, about twenty-five linear feet, of material. I spent three months during the winter of 2008-9 going through all of the material and scanning about half of it for future use. The material was returned to Bill in the spring of 2009 and he currently has it in storage with the hope of finding a library or genealogical society who would be interested in accepting it for their archives.

The material that comprised the collection could be separated into three "classes" or types of documents. One consisted of records and accounts of numerous persons named Brouwer, Brower and Brewer that can be found in a wide array of published sources such as genealogical journals, town and county histories, and published vital and probate records. Much of this class of information can be located by anyone willing to do the leg work it takes to do so. And much of it can even be found now, online. Bill has to be commended for the amount of time, travel and expense he put into accumulating this aspect of his collection. Gathering it all into one location, before the era of the internet, was an heroic feat.

A second class of documents consisted of unpublished works such as manuscript notes, compiled genealogies, and collections of material gathered by others. This class of documents also was acquired at the expense of a great deal of time, effort and cost.

The third class would be the personal correspondence that Bill had with numerous "Cousins" as he preferred to call them, most of whom contacted Bill seeking help in discovering their correct line of Brouwer ancestry. Here, Bill has to be commended for the amount of time he spent reading and answering, in a time before e-mail, all of these numerous correspondents. Often, back and forth correspondence took place over a number of years. Many, in fact a very large number of the correspondents, had incorrectly assumed that they were descended from Anneke Jans. While the first two types of documents mentioned have been helpful (sometimes by simply directing me where to find the original source for myself), the third type, the personal correspondence, was largely (to me) disappointing. Here I was hoping to find a good deal of original family documents covering Brouwer families of the past. I was looking for hings like unpublished Bible records, personal and family memoirs, perhaps unrecorded wills and deeds, items that might have been passed down from generations past. While I did find one or two such documents, the vast majority of the correspondence material consisted of family group sheets and lineages compiled by the various correspondents. There were some, but it was a rare exception when one with appropriate source citations was found. While these accounts are useful for filling in current, largely twentieth century generations, they are mostly useless as material for connecting to the generations of the 18th and 17th centuries. There are just too many errors in the sheets compiled by the correspondents, and anything that is prior to the generations in which the correspondent lived, as to be checked against appropriate vital, estate and other records that are found elsewhere and would be a part of any complete and responsible genealogical research. While I read through all of it, I only ended up scanning about twenty-five percent of the correspondence. In total, I probably scanned and saved about half of the material Bill had lent to me.

In the nearly three years since I had the collection I have been gradually adding bits of it online in an effort to make it available to others. As I do so I have, and will continue to, highlight each with a posting on this blog page. Each of these posts have, and will be flagged with the label, "Wm. B. Bogardus Collection." (Labels are found in the column of links to the right). In addition a page has been created at the Brouwer Genealogy Database website titled, William B. Bogardus Collection. The links provided there will take anyone interested to the document that was found in the collection and has since been placed online. These documents are available through my Google Docs account or my Free Pages account at RootsWeb. They will remain online so long as these two services remain free. Should these services ever discontinue or begin to charge for their use, then the documents will likely be taken down. So take advantage of them while they are here and available. The internet is a terrific vehicle for sharing, but one never knows how long any single aspect of it may last.

When he turned his collection over to me, Bill decided that he would no longer be researching and pursuing the Brouwer families of New Netherland and their descendants. He had once hoped to publish compiled genealogies of the descendants of Adam Brouwer of Gowanus and of Jan Brouwer of Flatlands. Instead he has chosen to focus his attention on completing a compiled genealogy of the descendants of Anneke Jans, which will be titled, Dear Cousin II. It is expected to cover seven generations of descendants of Anneke Jans and her two husbands, with some coverage of the eighth generation. Bill hopes to have this published and available in sometime in the next few years. Back in 1996 he published, Dear Cousin, A Charted Genealogy of the Descendants of Anneke Jans Bogardus (1605-1663) to the 5th Generation.

My own intention is to have the remainder of the documents that were scanned, reviewed and those deemed of value, placed online by the end of this calendar year. I will make a concerted effort to do this as, quite frankly, I'd like to move on to other things. Primarily, I'd like to complete research on the first five generations of descendants of Adam Brouwer of Gowanus, Jan Brouwer of Flatlands and Willem Brouwer of Beverwijck, and to make available all material and data I have accumulated on persons named Brouwer, Brouwer and Brewer, found in colonial New York, New Jersey, New England and Pennsylvania, and those with colonial roots in these locations who are found in the United States up to the period of 1850 to 1900. This I hope to accomplish in the next two years, at which time I hope to conclude my own research on these families, and on Brouwers (etc.) in general.

I think I speak for many when I say, Thank you Bill for all you have done in continuing and contributing towards a better understanding of the Brouwer families of New Netherland and their descendants.

BGB 151

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I am researching my Rasey, Brewer (Brouwer) lines and discovered your website this afternoon..This was such a huge help..the trees on Ancestry have my lines completely fouled up, so thanks to you and your website I was abe to make corrections and clean up that mess. In your list of references, it says that a pages from a bible belonging to John Rasey was used for marriage and birth dates..was wondering if it would be possible to get copies of the actual pages. I descend thru Daniel Brewer Rasey. I also am looking for more info on Daniel's wife Mary Taylor Guilford. Any info you have would be greatly apprecited..And Thanks again for your wonderful website well.done.. my Email is ; Grannieannie2803@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I corresponded for years with William Bogardus with regard to my Dutch roots - specifically Anneke Jans. He is such a lovely man, and extremely helpful, and knowledgeable. And the work he has done on this family is astounding. I am so glad his material is in competent hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to clarify, Bill did not lend me any of his correspondence and material that he collected regarding Anneke Jans or her descendants. I, in fact, only had a small portion of his entire collection and only that portion that dealt with Brouwers, other than Jacob Brouwer whose wife, Annatje Bogardus, was a granddaughter of Anneke Jans. Bill maintained the vast majority of his material. I never saw it. His intent was to compile and publish a genealogy of seven generations of descendants of Anneke Jans. I don't believe he has finished it. At least to my knowledge, it hasn't been published. I have not heard from Bill in a few years now, and his wife, Raymona, passed away last year. Her obituary is online here http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timesgazette/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=189725213

      Delete
    2. Do you know how to get in touch with Mr. Bogardus now? His website looks like it hasn't been updated in years. It even has an incorrect street address listed for him. Do you know who, if anyone, has taken over the Anneke JANS and Everardus BOGARDUS Descendants Association? Thanks.

      Delete
    3. No I do not. As I mentioned in the Comments to the post dated May 13, 2020 (comment dated June 17, 2020) I have not had any correspondence with Bill Bogardus in at least three years, and that was pretty much limited to receiving his end of the year greeting and update on his research. Those emails stopped three (maybe four) years ago.
      He was, for many years, trying to find a repository (a library or some other institution) that would take in and house all of the material he collected. The last I heard (ten years ago or so) he had been unsuccessful. I do not know if anyone is continuing his research, or if there are still plans to publish the book of Anneke Jans descendants that he spent much of his life working on. As mentioned in my comment on the May 13, 2020 post, I would suggest writing a letter to him at his last known address which can be found on the old Anneke Jans website - http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~ghosthunter/genealogy/Anneke/page0.htm. Good luck.

      Delete
  4. Cousin William is a confirmed Y-37,Y-67 DNA match to my Bogardus line through my 1st cousin Russell Bogardus on Family Tree DNA website. I would like to correspond further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you know if he is still alive and if so is he still processing people to be included in the Descendants Association? monte258@comcast.net

      Delete
    2. I believe Bill is living (there would likely have been an obit online if he wasn't). I do not know if he is active in research or if the Association still exists. I have not corresponded with him in a good four or five years (or more). Last I know, he still lived in Wilmington, OH.

      Delete
    3. Supposedly, I'm a descendant of Anneke Bogardus but would like to confirm this by DNA, if possible. Is there a way I can upload my DNA from Ancestry or 23andMe on that site? I will give it a try. If you any advice, please write to monte258@comcast.net.

      Delete
    4. DNA would not be useful for determining whether one is a descendant of Anneke Jans. The reason being, she simply lived too far back in the past. Autosomal DNA tests, like those given by Ancestry.com and 23andMe are useless for proving ancestral relationships beyond just a few generations back from the present. If you're living today, Anneke Jans is probably 10 or 12 or more generations in the past for you. Autosomal DNA testing cannot proof descent from an ancestor that far removed.
      I suggest that you first take the time to learn about the different types of DNA tests (Y-DNA, mtDNA and autosomal, and their usefulness in finding genetic relationships. There are plenty of resources out there that can inform you about the actual usefulness of DNA testing.

      Delete
    5. Thank you so much for the DNA information. Probably most of us who have taken the Ancestry DNA test think it will provide more than it does. But, it's interesting nonetheless. Marianne

      Delete
    6. I have a Genetic Genealogy Page on this website: https://brouwergenealogy.blogspot.com/p/genetic-genealogy.html
      Towards the bottom are some useful links for general knowledge regarding genetics and testing. At the very bottom are two books by Blaine Bettinger that anyone who wishes to use DNA tests for attempts at proving ancestry or relationships.
      The companies that offer these tests, in my opinion, over promise to an extent. But more importantly, too many of their customers do not understand how to interpret and use the results that they receive from the companies for their tests.

      Delete
  5. Bill has been in ill health, has moved to a different town in Ohio, and has not done any more work on the second Anneke Jans genealogy book; not sure if anyone else is working on it. Unfortunately, I do not have an email address for him. Several years ago I did a bit of research for Bill at the New York Public Library and the New York Historical Society. I, too, am a direct descendant of Anneke, so feel free to contact me. vanbrugh1600@gmail.com
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the update regarding Bill Bogardus. Much appreciated.

      Delete
    2. While going through my fathers things, we found some pictures of you with him, Chris. Where can I send them?

      Delete
  6. Hi Chris. Just wanted to Update. Bill Bogardus has passed. Dec 6th 2020 If I remember correctly. He will be greatly missed. wildart@nb.sympatico.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perry. Here's a link to "Remembering William B. Bogardus" - https://underwoodfuneralhome.com/obituaries/william-b-bogardus/1088/

      Delete

Because of spamming issues, all submitted comments are moderated. Your comment is appreciated, but it will not appear online until it has first been reviewed. All relative comments will be sent through. Comments of a commercial nature will be blocked. It may take as little as a few hours or as long as a few days for submitted comments to appear online. Please do not resend the same comment. Please do not include personal identification information for living persons, i.e. names, addresses, DNA testing account numbers, in your comments. Comments or questions including such information will be rejected. Please address questions regarding specific DNA test results to the Brewer DNA Project. A link for the Project can be found in the column on the right side of this page. Thank you.