Sunset at Gowanus Bay

Sunset at Gowanus Bay
Sunset at Gowanus Bay, Henry Gritten, 1851

Friday, February 10, 2023

Some BREWER Wills In Kentucky: LaRue County

 We're looking into some potential connections between some BREWER families, primarily descended from Adam Brouwer of Gowanus, Long Island, who settled in Kentucky during the late 1700s and/or early 1800s. Below are some abstracts/transcriptions by myself with links to digital images of the will books at FamilySearch.org (you will need to log in to FamilySearch to view them. There is no fee). This post includes four will found in the LaRue County Will Books. LaRue County was formed March 4, 1843, set off from the southeast portion of Hardin County.

1- Samuel Brewer, Larue County. Larue Co. Wills 1:54-55. Dated 18 October 1852. Samuel Brewer "now in a bad state of health but of sound mind." To Charity Howell and Samuel Howell daughter and son of Elizabeth Howell my sister dec., my part of the land on the Swel Woods & Otter Creek, Larue County, Ky that was willed to me by Peter Brewer dec., equally. Also said Charity is to have one heifer that was given to her for her services and attention on her grand mother when sick & in her last moments & dying. Also the above Samuel is to have my  cloth suit & hat. I give and bequeath unto Phebe Brewer the daughter of Isaac Brewer, dec. my brother my (?) cow & bequeth unto Mary Jane Brewer the (?) heifer. I also appoint John Baird as my executor if consistent with the laws of our land to divide the above property to the different legatees without administration. Also the said Baird is requested to sell all the rest of my goods and chattels to the highest bidder & discharge all my legal debts and expenses then the balance if any I give to my brother Benjamin Brewer. Signs with his mark. Witnesses: John Baird, William ? Baird. Proved 30 Nov 1852. [This is Samuel Brewer, b. ca. 1796 in Kentucky, d. 8 November 1852, a son of Peter Brewer and Margaret Hobach].

2- William F. Brewer, Larue County. Larue Co. Wills 1:103-4. Dated 18 May 1861. William F. Brewer of the County of Larue, State of Kentucky being of sound and disposing mind & memory but weak & infirm knowing once that it is appointed once to all men to die and being desirous of disposing of what little estate I have been blessed with to my satisfaction I do make, ordain & establish this as my last will & testament... All just debts and liabilities to be paid by my executor. To my wife Mary Brewer one feather bed and furniture to be well furnished with all her fine quilts six in number & one square table forever. My property, all both real & personal, land, stocks, kitchen and house hold furniture be sold in a twelve month credit by my executor, and after paying all liabilities loan out all the money that may be left of my estate and the interest of the same be paid to my wife Mary for her support during her life. (Instructions for the executor to also pay out principal should the interest be insufficient to support his wife). Appoints friend, Jisse P. Bryant sole executor. Signed William F. Brewer. Witnesses: Saml. P. Lasley, James M. Hausbury. Proved 26 August 1861. [William F. Brewer is not found on the Brouwer Genealogy Database. I do find a Wm. Brewer with (inferred) wife Mary on the 1850 U.S. census in Hamiltons, Larue Co., KY, both age 26, born in Kentucky. In 1860, W. F. Brewer, age 37, born in Kentucky with (inferred) wife Mary, age 41, Kentucky are enumerated in Larue County (no township or city stated). On this same census sheet are a Michl Brewer (age 31, KY) and an Isaac Brewer (age 20, KY) both married with one child each. A Peter Brewer (age 34, KY) is in the household of Michl (I assume Michael) Brewer. There is a Kentucky marriage record for William Brewer and Mary Hatfield, both age 21, dated 12 November 1846 in Hardin County (Larue/LaRue County was set off from Hardin County, 4 March 1843). Additional research on this Brewer family, due to length and complexity, will have to be reserved for a future post of its own].

3- Michael Brewer, Larue County. Larue Co. Wills 1:212. Dated 30 June 1869. Michael Brewer of Larue County, Kentucky being feable in body but sound in mind and memory. After my death my body be decently buried and my just debts and funeral expenses be paid. To my son William, a certain tract of land lying in Larue County on the waters of the southfork of Nolin (River) and bounded as follows...127 1/2 acres (see original). To Milley Brewer the wife of my son Peter M. Brewer, two dollars. To grandson John W. Brewer and Washington R. Brewer and Thomas B. Brewer, 157 1/2 acres, more or less, to be divided equally among my three grandsons, the land lying on the west of my son William above mentioned. Appoints friend Baylor Henderson sole executor. Signs with his mark X. Witnesses: Saml. S. Kirkpatrick, Eliza F. Alfney. Proved 24 August 1874. [Michael Brewer is found on the BGD website. This will adds to his profile and narrows down the time range for his date of death to between 4 August 1870 when he appears on the U.S. census at Buffalo, Larue County, and 24 August 1874 when his will was proved. He is a son of Peter Brewer and Margaret Hobach and a brother of Samuel Brewer, above].

4- Valentine Brewer, Larue County. Larue Co. Wills 2:73. Dated 3 November 1883. Valentine Brewer of Larue County, "am well and in my right reason." To my wife Rachel Brewer my land during her natural life - to have the entire control of. "She must rent it each year for the third of what can be raised on the farm. Whoever rents the farm must bind themselves to keep the farm in good repair." To son William A. Brewer the "refusal of renting the above named farm." "I want my land sold at my wife's death." Son William to have two thirds of the money that the farm brings. Daughter Lucinda J. Howell to have one third of the money the farm brings. If William dies before Lucinda, Lucinda is to have William's two thirds share. Wife Rachel to have all of "my property out of doors to dispose of at her will and that she have all the household and kitchen furniture her life time and at her death it is my will that my daughter Lucinda Howell have it all." Signs with his mark X. "And I also want W. M. Baird to be my administrator." Witnesses: Philip R. Scott, W. M. Baird. Proved 27 July 1885. [Valentine Brewer can be found on the BGD website. This will adds to the notes found there and provides a date range for his time of death which would be sometime between 3 November 1883 and 27 July 1885. He is a son of Peter Brewer and Margaret Hobach and a brother of Samuel Brewer and Michael Brewer above].

BGB 744

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of spamming issues, all submitted comments are moderated. Your comment is appreciated, but it will not appear online until it has first been reviewed. All relative comments will be sent through. Comments of a commercial nature will be blocked. It may take as little as a few hours or as long as a few days for submitted comments to appear online. Please do not resend the same comment. Please do not include personal identification information for living persons, i.e. names, addresses, DNA testing account numbers, in your comments. Comments or questions including such information will be rejected. Please address questions regarding specific DNA test results to the Brewer DNA Project. A link for the Project can be found in the column on the right side of this page. Thank you.