Sunset at Gowanus Bay

Sunset at Gowanus Bay
Sunset at Gowanus Bay, Henry Gritten, 1851

Saturday, April 23, 2022

Update of the Jan Brouwer of Flatlands, L.I. Branch on YFull's Y-Tree

 This post takes a quick look at the Jan Brouwer of Flatlands, L.I. branch as found on YFull's Y-Tree v10.02.00 (6 April 2022 (classic view). This link takes you to the live view, which includes tests that have come in since the previous update, but have not yet been completely analyzed. The simple chart very clearly illustrates the relationships of the sub-branches within the Jan Brouwer branch. 

As of this post, the Jan Brouwer sub-group at the Brewer DNA Project (FamilyTreeDNA which is not directly associated with YFull), has 40 members, 23 of whom have taken the BigY test (either the original 500 SNP version or the newer BigY-700). The current Y-Tree at YFull includes 19 of the 23 who have taken FTDNA's BigY test.

Those who are familiar with what has been published on this website over the past eleven years of existence know that descendants of Jan Brouwer are identified by the SNP I-Y7214. Learning as to whether or not an individual is positive for I-Y7214 requires taking a BigY-700 test. Those who take the less expensive STR marker tests will see a "predicted" results identifying them as I-M223*. This SNP dates much further back in time. YFull calculates that it was formed 17,400 year before present (ybp), and the time to the most recent common ancestor (TMRCA) for those within this branch (or clade) is 14,600 ybp. When we look at I-M233 on the YTree we see that it includes many different sub-branches, I-Y7214 being only one such branch. YFull's estimation for the formation of I-Y7214 is 4200 ybp. Their estimated time to most recent common ancestor (which thus far only includes individuals who we know are descendants of Jan Brouwer) is 250 ypb. We have, for a number of years now, estimated Jan Brouwer's birth as "ca. 1628." He apparently died in late 1702 or perhaps 1703, and so actually lived between 320 and about 394 ybp.

We now have four sub-branches of I-Y7214 that have been identified by BigY tests. This is best seen on the simple chart that was mentioned above. Eight of the Project's 19 BigY tested members, who are also on the YFull YTree are identified by the "parent" branch I-Y7214. The four sub-branches are identified by the SNPs I-Y87452, I-FT175879, I-FT135755, and I-Y41503, which is itself a sub-branch of I-FT135755.

I-Y87452 is identified by two members of the Project. Their known, or at least strongly believed, common ancestor is Elias Brower/Brewer who was likely born during the decade of 1725-1735 and is certainly a great-grandson of Jan Brouwer. See the post of April 3, 2022 and No. 20 in the "Summary of the Male Descendants of Jan Brouwer of Flatlands, L.I. during the Colonial Period."

I-FT175879 is identified by three members of the Project. Their known paternal ancestries lead back to three different men who lived in Hunterdon County, New Jersey during the mid to late 1700s. The three are Phineas Brewer, Wright Brewer, and Richard Brewer who is likely a son of a William Brewer. Phineas, Wright and William are likely brothers. See the post of April 12, 2022.

I-FT135755 is identified by six individuals, two of whom also identify the sub-branch I-Y41503. Of the six tested individuals, one is a direct descendant of Richard Brower (Oneida and Oswego Counties, New York) who is believed to have been a son of David Brower of Lee, Oneida Co., New York. See the post of April 12, 2022. A second individual has the surname Embody, but as evident from his Y-DNA tests, is unquestionably a descendant of Jan Brouwer. Where the "non-paternal event" (NPE) occured between his Embody ancestor and a male descendant of Jan Brouwer, has not been determined. See the post of April 3, 2022. The remaining four individuals are all descendants of John Rose. The two individuals who identify I-Y41503 are both descendants of John Rose's son Anthony Rose (1792-1857). I-Y41503 is now a SNP that will help descendants of John Rose confirm whether or not they are also descendants of John Rose's son Anthony Rose. See the post of March 28, 2022.

The addition of the BigY-700 test to FamilyTreeDNA's lineup of Y-DNA tests, and the increased participation of members of the Brewer DNA Project taking this test has very much enhanced our ability to reconstruct the earlier generations of Jan Brouwer's descendants. It is certain that if the members who have not yet upgraded to the BigY-700 test would do so, we would likely be able to solve the problems of the still broken and uncertain lines of ancestry for many of the participants. And of course new members are always welcome. Please contact the administrators of the Brewer DNA Project if you have an interest, and with any questions. 

For those who would like to see an animation of the theoretical computed path of migration of I-Y7214, see this page at the Phylogeograher's "mygrations" website.

From this end I hope in the coming weeks to find the time to review the Adam Brouwer branch, E-Y19643 on the YFull Y-Tree. I would also like to begin working through a still large number of unidentified BROUWERs, BROWERs and BREWERs from the colonial period that I have some information on.

*There is a group project for I-M233 at FamilyTreeDNA.

BGB 719

2 comments:

  1. My predicted Haplogroup is I-P222, based on my Y-37 test. How does that relate to the I-M223 Haplogroup referenced in this post?

    Note that I recently opted to upgrade to BigY-700, so I'm anticipating the Haplogroup to be revised to the I-Y7214 of Jan Brouwer when those results are available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I can't find I-P222 on YFull's Y-Tree. Try your Y-DNA Haplotree in your FamilyTreeDNA account. It's likely a more recent branch somewhere down the line and more closer to the present than I-M223, but further in the past than I-Y7214. When your BigY-700 test comes in it most certainly will be positive for I-Y7214. The real hope is that it identifies some other SNP that is unique to both you and at least one other member of the Group. That would then identify a more recent branch, one even closer to the present than I-Y7214.

      Delete

Because of spamming issues, all submitted comments are moderated. Your comment is appreciated, but it will not appear online until it has first been reviewed. All relative comments will be sent through. Comments of a commercial nature will be blocked. It may take as little as a few hours or as long as a few days for submitted comments to appear online. Please do not resend the same comment. Please do not include personal identification information for living persons, i.e. names, addresses, DNA testing account numbers, in your comments. Comments or questions including such information will be rejected. Please address questions regarding specific DNA test results to the Brewer DNA Project. A link for the Project can be found in the column on the right side of this page. Thank you.